Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Sharon Creech Walk Two Moons Excerpt

"We have to go back. I forgot something."The lady with the wild red hair opened the door and came out onto the porch."In the back of my closet," I said, under the floorboards. I put something there, and I've got to have it.""Don't be a goose. Come and see Margaret."I did not want to see Margaret. I stood there, looking around, and that's when I saw the face pressed up against an upstairs window next door. It was a round girl's face, and it looked afraid. I didn't know it then, but that face belonged to Phoebe Winterbottom, a girl who had a powerful imagination, who would become my friend, and who would have many peculiar things happen to her.Not long ago, when I was locked in a car with my grandparents for six days, I told them the story of Phoebe, and when I finished telling them--or maybe even as I was telling them--I realized that the story of Phoebe was like the plaster wall in our old house in Bybanks, Kentucky.

- From Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech

No comments: