Sunday, January 13, 2008

Day 2: How do writer's use their surroundings to get ideas?

Review rules
Free write: Messy Room Poem! Silverstein

Messy Room by Shel Silverstein
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
His underwear is hanging on the lamp.
His raincoat is there in the overstuffed chair,
And the chair is becoming quite mucky and damp.
His workbook is wedged in the window,
His sweater's been thrown on the floor.
His scarf and one ski are beneath the TV,
And his pants have been carelessly hung on the door.
His books are all jammed in the closet,
His vest has been left in the hall.
A lizard named Ed is asleep in his bed,
And his smelly old sock has been stuck to the wall.
Whosever room this is should be ashamed!
Donald or Robert or Willie or--
Huh? You say it's mine? Oh, dear,
I knew it looked familiar!

My room is tiny, filled with painted furniture I get from thrift stores and re-do. I think one day it willl make me millions. I'm still coming up with a name for my business. I want to constantly sell my home furnishings. If someone buys my bed, I'll sleep on the floor till I paint a new one.

I have paintings of Klimpt. I love him. And sketches I drew in Europe. I have pictures, mostly of the past. College and high school and my family. People I miss. Chipper, my stuffed dog sits on m bed. My old toybox holds my blankets, and my top drawer is filled with t-shirts I don't wear but can't bare to get rid of.

Write and share!
Mini Lesson:
The things we carry: Tim OBrian read aloud
Writer's use lists for ideas and to show things! DETAIL!!!!
Stuff game-list addition-name game!
Brainstorming list: What do you carry? What is in your bookbag? Your pocketbook?
Play the game and write a class poem!
*In the future I would use HOmeroom poems with this

I will bring mystuff and ask people what they can tell about the person. ( me ) We will respond an a piece of construction paper.



Workshop Time:
Make a list of things that represent you. Things in your room!

Things in your room
Things in a drawer
Things your mother always tells you
Things you dream about
Things that make you mad
Your favorite dinner
Sounds you like

Comforts:

my coker hoodie. too small. too dirty
my pink heart, holey socks
a long run with a bouncing pony tail
a milk dud
Virginia Woolf
4 layers
dried cranberries
2 purple jellybeans in a row
Gorbochuv on my feet
my mama, even on the phone

-Inga Puffer
















No comments: